At Dejmo we are working actively to improve our business in a sustainable way. We’re constantly striving to minimize our impact on the environment and wildlife, promote living wages and encourage conscious fashion shopping.
This is our current sustainability policy:
Manufacturing and material use:
- Any new materials purchased after 2018-01-01 must be made of biodegradable fibers. Organic materials produced in a sustainable way by workers paid a living way should be prioritized.
- We do have synthetic materials in stock that were purchased before 2018. These will be used in our manufacturing to make sure they don’t go to waste.
- Any third party factories producing goods for the Dejmo brand must pay all workers a living wage, use sustainable waste disposal and preferably use renewable energy sources.
- Most of our products are hand made in our atelier in Sweden, more about our local sustainability practices is described in the section below.
Atelier and office sustainability:
- We have solar panels on our roof and purchase any extra energy needed from energy company Tibber.
- All our sewing machines currently in use have been purchased second hand. We service and repair them locally to ensure they last as long as possible. (Our newest sewing machine is from the 1960's and the oldest is from 1915!)
- We use vintage buttons, zippers etc. whenever possible.
- Scrap fabric is sorted and re-purposed or recycled. We either use them for making pillows and the like, or send synthetics to recycling and organic materials we compost.
- The headbands we use are purchased from a climate compensating manufacturer.
- Labels purchased after 2018 are either made from recycled polyester or organic cotton.
Packaging and shipping:
- Our aim is to ship everything in plastic free packaging. However, we do have a lot of plastic mailing bags and plastic bags purchased before starting our sustainability journey. These will be used as long as stock lasts.
- We frequently re-use packaging materials. This includes cardboard boxes, bubble wrap and the like which we've collected from other businesses who would otherwise have discarded them. We only use materials in good condition.
- When you select our free shipping option, we try to select the most environmentally friendly shipping option for your order. To do this we consider a number of different factors such as land or air transport, climate compensation and risk of lost goods. For example to locations where the risk of lost goods is high, semi express services such as FedEx Economy might be better in the long run, as a lost dress is a lot of lost resources.
- Climate is one of the reasons we do not offer free returns. We hope to be able to find you the perfect garment before you buy, by offering custom sizing and measuring assistance.
Questions, concerns? Did we miss something or do you have suggestions on how we could improve? Get in touch with us here.